CROSS PLATFORM DATA MIGRATION
project report helper|
Active In SP
Joined: Sep 2010
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
CROSS PLATFORM DATA MIGRATION
Submitted by: Remya R Reghu (06406037)
Renjitha R (06406038)
Revathy C (06406041)
RiniRaj J R (06406043)
Cross platform data migration is the process of moving the tables in the databases of one platform to another. This consists of transferring static or preexisting long-term retention data to a newer technology, and to describe it as complex may be an understatement. It is time consuming, labor intensive, logistically problematic and can incur substantial downtime if not done properly.
The process behind cross platform data migration is converting the data in MS ACCESS, MS SQL Server, or Oracle to Extensible Markup Language (XML) and then transferring the XML file to Linux, where the data in XML form is converted to the form in which data can be stored on MYSQL Server using a parser forms. The parsing part and extracting the data out of XML files results in exchange of data. This is possible since XML is platform independent.
Data migration is not something that occurs daily, and so the process often requires a temporary need for additional expertise, software or consulting and equipment.
Administrators and application developers generally work with consultants to determine the criteria for migrating files, and a process is created which although is fairly straightforward can be quite involved. A well-planned data migration process will involve the following:
• Research the current environment and the goals to determine the source-to-target data relationships that need to be migrated.
• Determine all pre-installation requirements.
• Audit all devices and CPUs to provide complete documentation of the network.
• Manage other venders who are crucial to the process.
• Develop a comprehensive project and implimentation and test plan.
• Construction and deployment of all necessary equipment and software.
• Accurate refinement of the data migration process.
Note: The process often requires additional refinements and the key to a successful data migration process is to make subsequent refinements more comprehensive than the last. Testing and validation to provide complete quality assurance of the data migration process.
Although, as we stated above, the process is complex, once it is completed a successful, data migration will provide numerous benefits including:
• Reduction cost
• Allows you to take advantage of newer technologies.
• Provides effective utilization of primary storage disk space.
• Automation of data life cycle management operations.
• Allows you to virtualizes and consolidate storage resources
• Reduces data management overhead.
• Allows for comprehensive management of data across all departments and data centers
|Popular Searches: data migration tool, data migration project report download, computer migration platform, cross platform backup software, secured cross platform communication project, c cross platform, java ring is launched or not,|