GREEN TEA AS ANTIOXIDANT
Active In SP
Joined: Feb 2011
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Vaghela Jyotika & Patel Nimisha
KSHITIJ2.ppt (Size: 2.01 MB / Downloads: 96)
• The tea is the brew made from the infusion of water and leaves of the plant Camellia sinensis or Thea sinensis.
• Tea plant is an evergreen shrub usually cultivated to 2-5 feet.
• Tea delivers a multitude health benefits that range from being anti-carcinogenic, anti-diabetic, anti-mutagenic, protection against atherosclerosis, alzeihmers.
• The major tea producing regions in the world include India, Sri Lanka, China, Japan, Turkey, South America, Kenya, Bangladesh and Indonesia.
(Green) Types of Tea (Oolong) (Black) (White)
• Tea as a beverages is traced by the Chinese to about 2700 B.C. at the time of Emperor Shen Nung.
• In the 6th century, the tradition of drinking tea came to Japan from China. The first tea seeds were brought to Japan from China by the returning Buddhist priest Yeisei.
• Peter Stuyvesant brought the first tea to America to the colonists in the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam.
• The East India Company starts the first tea plantation in Assam in 1835.
What is Green Tea?
• Green Tea is a type
• of tea prepared from
• unfermented leaves
• of Camellia sinensis.
Place of origin:
Tropical and subtropical areas
• mainly China, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Japan,
• Vietnam, Africa and South America.
• Rich in polyphenols
• (catechins), caffeine, free amino acids (theanine), and minerals, including fluoride and calc
What is an Antioxidant?
• Antioxidant is a chemical
• compound that can bind
• to free oxygen radical
• preventing this radical
• from damaging healthy
Antioxidants in Green Tea
• Green tea contains the highest concentration of
powerful antioxidants called Polyphenols (Catechin).
• Green tea contains mainly four catechin compounds are:
1.Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
3.Epicatechin gallate (ECG)
Therapeutic Uses Of Green Tea
2) High Cholesterol
5) Protection against HIV
6) Alzeihmer’s Disease
• Green tea has been used traditionally to control blood sugar in body.
• Polyphenols inhibit the activity of the starch digesting enzyme amylase. So that starch is broken down more slowly and the rise the serum glucose is thus minimized. It also may reduce the intestinal absorption of the glucose.
• Green tea lowers total cholesterol, raises HDL cholesterol and reduced blood levels of harmful LDL cholesterol.
• Polyphenols in green tea may block intestinal absorption and promote excretion from the body.
• In Green tea ECGs are shown to dose-dependently inhibit AGE-stimulated proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells and to prevent the increase in MAPK normally seen when LDL levels are high.
• Green Tea stops angiogenesis
– Stops blood flow to tumor
• Green Tea induced apoptosis
– Increases normal cell growth while promoting programmed cell death
Protection against HIV
• EGCG of green tea blocked the binding of HIV envelope glycoprotein to human CD4 molecules on human T cells. The CD4 molecule acts as a binding target for HIV vesicles and plays an important role in the aggressive infection process.
• EGCG decreases production of the Alzheimer’s-related protein, beta - amyloid, which can accumulate abnormally in the brain and lead to nerve damage and memory loss.
|Tagged Pages: green tea ppt free, green tea, antioxidant related seminar topic, antioxidants green tea ppt, antioxidents and biotechnology, seminar topics in biotechnology, seminar in relation to antioxodant,|
|Popular Searches: tea algorithm code, a project report on tea industry, green tea ppt presentation related to chemistry, tea encryption algorithm papers, pdf seminar on antioxidant, seminar topics on antioxidant, world tea industry ppt,|
|Possibly Related Threads...|
|Green Energy||Sahab Raj||1||274||
14-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Sahab Raj